Sunday

How It All Started...


Hi, my name is Chris, welcome to my sports blog. I started this blog on May 13, 2010. Originally titled "The Sports Agenda," I started this blog because at the time I thought sports writers were not writing the truth, merely what would make the biggest headline. My inspiration came from my composition professor from the semester before, who urged me to become a sports writer because she thought I wrote so well. So backed with the confidence I obtained from her and the anger I had for sports writers in general, I decided to write.

A little bit more about me, I am from a small town in southwestern Connecticut known as Bethel. I went to a Catholic grammar school and high school in the area. I grew up loving sports but not being all that athletic. By middle school I had made my mind up that I would work in the business side of sports since I would never get anywhere playing them. After graduating high school in 2008, I enrolled at St. John's University in Queens (NY). My major was sport management, of course. In between semesters, I interned with the Danbury Westerns summer collegiate baseball team. I did various jobs for the team, including player research, journalist, field DJ, and official scorer duty. This past May I graduated from St. John's with a BS in Sport Management and a minor in Business Administration.

As you could probably figure out, I started this blog when I was going into my junior year. I found it difficult to write that summer because the summer meant no school and writing reminded me of school. But after looking at the blog's stats and finding out that people that weren't even from this country were reading my blog, I decided to start writing again. I renamed the blog "Spotlights on Sports," an idea stemming from a background of concert lights I found on Blogger. I added advertisements to the blog to try and make a little money but couldn't due to only writing part-time because of school. I wrote about five to ten articles and month and this went on from October 2010 to March 2011. School got in the way and then summer came. During winter break of my senior year I wrote six articles, which turned out to be the final six articles under the Spotlights on Sports moniker.

A few days ago I decided to return to writing because I realized I never got a chance to do it full time. Also, the job search is not going well and hasn't gone well all summer. I tweaked the title and look of the blog because I wanted something new for the start of writing full time. By full time I mean three articles each day Monday-Friday with the weekends reserved note-taking and if I want to pre-write some articles for the following week. Please don't think I'm getting paid a lot because of all the advertisements that appear on the blog. The fact is that it is very hard to reach the pay threshold, which is why I have added a donations box to my blog. Donations would be going towards paying off my undergrad loans and paying for grad school.

To conclude, if you have been reading my articles from the beginning, I'd like to thank you for your support; it really means a lot. If this is your first article, welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy the ride. My first sports story will be tomorrow morning; have a great night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment