Monday

A NBA Summer

The NBA season ends in early June with the NBA Finals, and then the offseason starts which usually leads to the NBA being placed on the back burner for the MLB and talk of the upcoming NFL season. Not this year though. The NBA isn't going unnoticed this summer thanks to the mega free agency class it's sporting that includes LeBron James, Dewayne Wade, and Chris Bosh, just to name a few. Free agency talk originally started back in the beginning of the season but most of the superstars didn't want to talk about their futures during the season, and so talk was slowed until the end of the season. Then 12:01 A.M. of July 1st, the start of free agency, came around and the NBA was launched into the sports mainstream with everybody wondering where these marquee players will be playing next year.

I personally have a mixed reaction to the 2010 NBA Free Agent Class that has turned into a media frenzy. On one side I find it fascinating, more fascinating than the game itself, because there are so many A-list players on the list that I think the media is having trouble covering them all. It has been basically nonstop coverage ever since midnight stroke making it July 1st. All these amazing players plus nonstop coverage equals mega hype for where these players are going. For instance, I barely watch basketball but I still have been following since the day 1 of free agency because I want to know who goes where and I've been reading every article to try and get so more insight to where all these players are going. I even watched a 10 minute tribute video to LeBron that was part of the Cavs pitch to keep him in Cleveland. Let me tell you, after watching that vid I don't know how LeBron could leave Cleveland, that video was deep, real deep.

On the flip side I feel like there is too much coverage and that it is rather annoying. I have watched less SportsCenter this week because I know it's all centered around the NBA free agents, and I don't want to see and hear what their experts are saying because I've been reading the articles that say the same thing online. Rumors get old after awhile; I like legit facts on the situation. But free agency has been all about rumors and speculation aside the actual meetings the players had with team interested in acquiring them. I think the media, while it does have a big fish to fry in this free agent class, should tone it down a little bit. The problem is they aren't and won't do it. If anything they'll turn it up a notch, thankfully it only lasts a week. Regardless of how much the media jams this down our throats though, there is no denying that this summer is truly a NBA summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment